Professional interior designer Leslie Hart-Davidson of Hart-Davidson Designs will be performing two seminars at the West Michigan Home and Garden Show this weekend March 7th and 8th: Remodeling Your House without Killing Your Spouse, based on her new book of the same title, and Man Cave Must-Haves.
Seminar #1: Remodeling Your House without Killing Your Spouse
Have you ever contemplated homicide during a home improvement project with your significant other? If so, you’re not alone. This frank, funny seminar based on the new book of the same title offers hands-on methods for avoiding conflict and surviving a remodel with your relationship intact.
Here are the four key components to surviving a remodel:
1. Communication: proper planning with worksheets, user testing and talking with your family about what your home does and does not need
2. Cash: realistic budgeting and hiring/selection of home improvement professionals to get the job done right
3. CRAP: a design language that will help you diagnose and treat any style
4. Character: personalizing your décor to reflect who you are, where you came from and what you believe in.
Seminar #2: Man Cave Must-Haves
Mancave, mantuary, manspace: all these terms describe a space in the home that a guy can truly call his own. A mancave can be anything from a tiny shed to a corner of a garage to an entire basement. No matter where the location, the secret to a successful Mancave is FUNCTION.
Here are the three most important areas of function to consider for a well-loved and well-used manspace:
1. Bros: social aspect of the space is critical for defining the social expectations for seating and activities.
2. Beers: the food and drink you will frequently serve will help determine what time of refrigerator or prep/food storage space is required
3. Broadcast: critical entertainment decisions like the size of the tv, type of surround system and the viewing distance from seating.
More information on these tips can be found at
You can find more information on the West Michigan Home Garden Show at www.showspan.com/WMH/